LSA 2018 (TORONTO): CRN 11 PRESENTATIONS AND BUSINESS MEETING
- Thu, 6/7, 10:00 AM – 11:45 AM
- Service Delivery to Refugees and Migrant Populations (Paper Session)
- Room: Huron
- Thu, 6/7, 10:00 AM – 11:45 AM
- Trafficking in Persons (Salon Session)
- Table: 4
- Thu, 6/7, 2:45 PM – 4:30 PM
- Assigned and Asserted: Refugee and Migrant Identities (Paper Session)
- Room: Dufferin
- Thu, 6/7, 2:45 PM – 4:30 PM
- Deadly Voyage (Paper Session)
- Room: Liden
- Thu, 6/7, 4:45 PM – 6:30 PM
- State and Regional Approaches to Immigration Law and Policy (Paper Session)
- Room: Simcoe
BUSINESS MEETING (all are welcome)
- Thu, 6/7, 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
- Room: Carleton
- Thu, 6/7 – 6/10, 2018
- To Un-Become by Saša Rajšić
- Location: Foyer, Near Registration Desk
For more information: Visit the Law and Society Website
CALL FOR CRN 11 RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
CRN 11 is recruiting participants for its Research and Development Committee. All those with expertise and interest in the following are invited to join:
- Writing grants and research applications
- Reviewing members’ draft papers and providing constructive feedback
- Identifying research collaborators, sponsors and placements for members
- Implementing and executing research projects and programs
- Promoting and advertising programs and projects
BECOME A CRN 11 RESEARCH COLLABORATOR
Interested in being a bona fide research collaborator with CRN 11? Send an expression of interest to email@example.com including the following:
- biographical sketch (250 words maximum)
- research interests
- list of recent publications
- a headshot (optional), and
- a link to your website
As a CRN 11 Research Collaborator, you will have the opportunity to share your draft research papers, chapters or manuscripts with colleagues in order to receive constructive feedback and collaborate on research and publication projects.
BOOKS, REPORTS AND ARTICLES
- Forced Migration: Current Issues and Debate by Alice Bloch and Giorgia Dona (2019)
- Journal of Internal Displacement (Latest Issue: January 2018).
- International Migration (Latest Issue: June 2018).
- World Migration Report Update by IOM (2018).
- World Migration Report: InfoSheet No. 1 by IOM (2018).
- Development-Induced Displacement and Human Rights in Africa: The Kampala Convention by Romola Adeola (2018).
- Development-Induced Displacement and Resettlement in Bangladesh: Case Studies and Practices by Mohammad Ameeruz Zaman and Hafiza Khatun (2017).
- Diasporas in Dialogue: Conflict Transformation and Reconciliation in Worldwide Refugee Communities by Barbara Tint (2017).
UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- Annual Meeting on Law and Society, 7-10 June 2018, Sheraton Centre, Toronto, Canada
- Border Deaths and Migration Policies, State and Non-State Approaches, 14-15 June 2018, Vrije Universiteit Faculty of Law, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- IRiS International Conference 2018 – Racial Displacements: Peripheries, Camps, and Resistance, 18-19 June 2018, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England.
- Third Annual Conference on “Refugee Protection in a Hostile World?”, 18-19 June 2018, Refugee Law Initiative, School of Advanced Study, University of London, London, England.
- IASFM 17: Whither Refugees? Restrictionism, Crises and Precarity Writ Large, 24-27 June, University of Macedonia, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- ICRDFM 2018: 20thInternational Conference on Refugee, Displacement and Forced Migration, 25-26 June 2018, Paris, France.
- The Migration Conference, 26-28 June 2018, The University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Europe, Migrations and the Mediterranean: Human Mobilities and Intercultural Challenges, IMISCOE 15thAnnual Conference, 2-4 July 2018, Barcelona, Spain.
- 11thInternational Conference on Migration and Development, Stanford Center of Global Poverty and Development, 5-6 July 2018, California, USA.
- The 13thAnnual Limina Conference on Home: Belonging and Displacement, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.
- Design History Society 2018: Design and Displacement, Parsons School of Design, 6 September 2018, New York, USA.
Borno targets 1 million internally displaced persons with house-to-house lifesaving messages: “Why didn’t you educate us before cholera hit us last year?” asked Hauwa Bulama, an internally displaced person (IDP) at Muna garage of Maiduguri, Borno state where an outbreak of cholera affected thousands of people in 2017.
Darfur lawyers call for international pressures to protect displaced persons: The Darfur Bar Association (DBA) Thursday called on the international community to press Sudanese government to abide by its commitments and to cease attacks on displaced persons in Darfur.
Rohingya refugee held on Manus Island dies in motor vehicle incident: Asylum Seeker Resource Centre says man suffered head injuries after being seen ‘coming out of a moving vehicle.’ A Rohingya refugee has died in a violent motor vehicle incident on Manus Island. The man was witnessed “coming out of a moving vehicle”, according to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, and suffered “very serious head injuries”.
Punishing Syrian refugees and displaced persons: The Syrian regime has added yet another draconian weapon to its already long list of arsenals against the opposition by recently issuing a decree aiming to confiscate movable and immovable properties belonging to people regarded as members of the opposition.
De Lima pleads for Marawi internally displaced persons: As the nation marks the first anniversary of the Marawi siege, Senator Leila de Lima called on the Duterte administration to expedite humanitarian assistance to home-based and evacuation center-based internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Marawi City and nearby municipalities.
Hirakud displacement: NHRC Special Rapporteur to Probe: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has deputized its special rapporteur to investigate the issue of large-scale displacement and subsequent failure of the State Government in rehabilitation and resettlement of more than 26,000 families due to the construction of the Hirakud Dam in Sambalpur.
UNMISS acknowledges return of over 10,000 Wau displaced persons to their homes: UNMISS in Wau State says it has witnessed the return of Displaced Persons sheltering near its base and all the collective sites to their homes.
Are you interested in volunteering for CRN-11? Visit Displaced Peoples for more information. To subscribe, unsubscribe or submit newsworthy information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.