NEWSLETTER: APRIL 2019
LSA 2019 (WASHINGTON, DC): CRN 11 PRESENTATIONS AND BUSINESS MEETING
- Theme Panel: Internal Displacement (Paper Session)
Thursday, May 30, 8:00 AM – 9:45 AM (Session 1)
Room: Regency A
- Legally Stranded? Administrative Practices & Refugee Rights and Resettlement in Nordic Countries and the U.S.
Friday, May 31, 10:00 AM – 11:45 AM (Session 2)
- Gender/Domestic Violence and Discrimination: Restoring Dignity to (Im)migrant and Indigenous Women
Friday, May 31, 12:45 PM – 2:30 PM (Session 3)
Room: Thornton C
- Resistance, Mortality and Immigration Detention
Saturday, June 1, 2:45 PM – 4:30 PM (Session 4)
- Theme Panel: Border Lives, Sexuality, Refugee Camps: Examining Environmental and Humanitarian Migration
Saturday, June 1, 4:45 PM – 6:30 PM (Session 5)
Room: Congressional D
- Friday, May 31, 6:45 PM – 8:00 PM
Room: Congressional C
*All are invited*
- When They Awake by P. J. Marcellino
Saturday, June 1, 7:30 PM
Location: Regency Foyer, Hyatt on Capitol Hill
For more information see the LSA 2019 Annual Meeting Full Program.
CALL FOR CRN 11 VOLUNTEERS
CRN 11is recruiting volunteers for the following position:
- Research and Development Committee
JOIN CRN 11 RESEARCH COLLABORATORS
Interested in being a bona fide research collaborator with CRN 11? Send an expression of interest to email@example.com including the following:
- biographical sketch (250 words maximum)
- research interests
- list of recent publications
- a headshot (optional), and
- a link to your website
As a CRN 11Research Collaborator, you will have the opportunity to share your draft research papers, chapters or manuscripts with colleagues in order to receive constructive feedback and collaborate on research and publication projects.
BOOKS, REPORTS AND ARTICLES
- David Álvarez, Global Residents in Urban Networks: The Right to Asylum in European Cosmopoleis, Studies in Global Justice, 17 April 2019.
- Mahasti Khakpour, Romaina Iqbal, Neveera Ghulam Hussain, Rachel Engler-Stringer, Mustafa Koc, Joseph Garcea, Marwa Farag, Carol Henry, and Hassan Vatanparast, Facilitators and Barriers Towards Food Security of Afghan Refugees Residing in Karachi, Pakistan, Taylor & Francis Online, 17 April 2019.
- James poppy, Aarti Iyer, and Thomas L. Webb, The Impact of Post-Migration Stressors on Refugees’ Emotional Distress and Health: A Longitudinal Analysis, European Journal of Social Psychology, 16 April 2019.
- Andrea Green and Matthew Saia, Preventing Harm on Arrival: Lead prevention in Newly Resettles Paediatric Refugees, AAP News & Journals, April 2019.
- Pau Balzán, We Asked Senegalese Migrants Why They Leave Home. Here’s What They Told Us, The Conversation, 19 March 2019.
- Adrian Kitimbo, South-South Migration Hub Kicks Off in Accra, Ghana, International Organization for Migration, 6 March 2019.
- Abdullah Mohammadi, Ruta Nimkar, and Emily Savage, We Are the Ones They Come to When Nobody Can Help: Afghan Smugglers’ Perceptions of Themselves and Their Communities, International Organization for Migration, 2019.
- Gerret von Nordheim, Henrik Müller, and Michael Scheppe, Young, Free, and Biased: A Comparison of Mainstream and Right-Wing Media Coverage of the 2015-16 Refugee Crisis in German Newspaper, Journal of Alternative and Community Media, 2019.
- Leticia Anderson, Rob Cumings, Leandro Mendes, John Mapatano, Affirming Inclusive Communities: Supporting Identification as ‘Locals’ by Former Refugees in Regional NSW, South Cross University, 2019.
- Exploring the Links Between Enhancing Regular Pathways and Discouraging Irregular Migration: A Discussion Paper to Inform Future Policy Deliberations, International Organization for Migration, 2019.
UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- Canadian Immigration Summit 2019: Expending our Horizons, 9 May 2019, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Translation as Political Act, 9-11 May 2019, Perugia, Italy.
- 2019 Immigration Law Conference, 17-18 May 2019, Austin, Texas, USA.
- Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, 30 May-2 June 2019, Washington, D.C., USA.
- RLI 4thAnnual Conference: Rethinking the “Regional” in Refugee Law and Policy, University of London, 3-5 June 2019, London, England, UK.
- International Metropolis Conference, 24-28 June 2019, Ottawa, Ontario, and Gatineau, Quebec, Canada.
- ICFMRS 2019: International Conference on Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, 27-28 June 2019, London, England, UK.
- American Society of Comparative Law 2019 Annual Meeting, 17-19 October 2019, Columbia, MO, USA.
Jamie Liew and Shauna Labman, A Refugee is a Refugee: Asylum Changes Threaten Canada’s ‘Gold Standard’ System, CBC (20 April 2019).
Nick Kampouris, Refugees Camped at Athens’ Syntagma Square Transferred to Eleonas Refugee Camp, Greek Reporter (20 April 2019).
Erin Cunningham, True ISIS Believers Regroup Inside Refugee Camp, Terrorize the ’Impious’, The Washington Post (19 April 2019).
Israeli Undercover Forces Arrest Two Palestinian minors in Shufat Refugee Camp, The Palestinian Chronicle (19 April 2019).
UNHCR Evacuates Refugees in Libya to Niger Amid Tripoli Fighting, UNHCR (19 April 2019).
Rachel Cernansky, For Refugee Children, Reading Helps Heal Trauma, The New York Times (17 April 2019).
Caroline Gluck, Rohingya Refugee and Bangladeshi Women Weave a Brighter Future, UNHCR (16 April 2019).
Nine-Year-Old Refugee Girl Dies by Suicide, City News (14 April 2019).
Lloyd Axworthy, Global Refugee Response System Needs Transformative Change, Policy Options (10 April 2019).
Emily Baron Cadloff, How a Multinational Project is Striving to Change Refugee Research, University Affairs (1 April 2019).
Are you interested in volunteering for CRN-11? Visit Displaced Peoplesfor more information.
To subscribe, unsubscribe or submit newsworthy information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.